Familiarise students with discrete variables required in Statistics A Level in this unit. The chapters cover: the binomial probability model, sums and differences of distributions, and the poisson distribution.
7 THE BINOMIAL PROBABILITY MODEL
Moving towards the binomial model; The binomial distribution
Notation; Probability function for the binomial distribution
The recurrence formula for the binomial distribution
Using distribution tables; Statistical tests; Significance level
Critical region; The alternative and null hypotheses
One-tailed tests; Two-tailed tests
8 SUMS AND DIFFERENCES OF DISTRIBUTIONS
Uniform and triangular distributions
Combining different uniform distributions
The difference of two distributions; C T: an exception
Combining multiples of distributions; Does T T T always equal 3T? Bernoulli trials; Mean of the binomial distribution
Variance of the Bernoulli distribution; The general Bernoulli distribution; Relating binomial and Bernoulli variables
Mean and variance of the binomial distribution
9 THE POISSON DISTRIBUTION
Modelling random events; A model for P(O) evaluating the model; Recurrence formula; Probability function the value of the factor; Probability distribution; Poisson probability distribution; Using the Poisson distribution; Validating the model; The distribution function; Mean and variance
Additive property of Poisson variates; Hypothesis tests
• Download all the answers to the Statistics Topics once all answers are contained in the Statistics Answers PDF
• Build confidence through hundreds of questions at the right level.
• Ensure students are fully prepared for their exams with extensive practice exercises, worked examples and full A-level examination questions.
• Promote understanding through consolidation exercises at the end of each topic.
• Challenge and broaden your students’ minds with new interpretations of traditional topics in Statistics.
Topics are also available in printed book format in the Collins Advanced Mathematics series
A flexible and affordable option for use in schools or independent study
Download all the answers to the Statistics Topics once – all answers are contained in the Statistics Answers PDF
A useful resource for teachers looking for extra support in teaching A Level
Written by a team of senior examiners with many years of experience
Suitable for a wide range of courses
Collins is the number one publisher for KS3 and GCSE
No free resources available.